Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tues., Nov. 3: Rom 12:5-16b; Luke 14:15-24

Rejoice in hope. The first reading today could serve as the outline for a daily examination of conscience. In just a few short lines, St. Paul summarizes what it is to live as a disciple of Jesus. And who is such a disciple? Anyone who is willing to accept the invitation, just as the parable in today’s Gospel indicates. I wonder how St. Luke’s audience received this parable, gentiles who discover they are in line behind the poor, blind and lame. It reminds me of a little poem, “Company of the Absurd,” in Madeleine L’Engle’s collection of essays The Irrational Season: “I share communion with the halt, / the lame, the blind, oppressed, depressed. / we have, it seems, a common fault / in coming to you to be blessed.” St. Martin de Porres knew this well as he ministered to the least. Lord Jesus, thank you for counting me among your friends.

* May I receive everyone as you receive me?

0 comments: